Thursday, July 15, 2010

How Can Educators Use Blogs/Journals

I am new to the "blogging" scene so I am still in the process of learning how and why blogging can be beneficial to me as an administrator. I am familiar with the using journals to record our thoughts and ideas but I must admit that I have never been one to record my thoughts personally.

In researching Journals and weblogs I have used Nancy Dana's book titled "Leading with passion and knowledge". Dana states that using journals and weblogs is one way that principal-researchers can capture their thinking as an inquiry unfolds (p.87). Weblogs are easy to create and publish as is evidenced by the fact that I have been able to do it pretty easy!

Blogging allows us to also add images and links to our text which we are unable to do in journals.
Dana also states that "capturing your own thinking over time can lead to critical insights into your administrative practice, insights that may only occur when you revisit a thought or when you string a number of thoughts together that have come to you intermittently over a longer period of time"(Leading with passion and knowlege, p.88).

I believe that using a blog is also beneficial in that we can easily share our thoughts with others if we so desire. I know that blogging has become more popular in recent years and I am just a little behind the times in catching on but I have a feeling that "blogging" is going to be a regular part of my daily routine before long!

Have a great day and I'll be back real soon!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You have given a very thorough description of how educators can use blogs. Like you, I am new to blogging. It really isn't something I have ever thought I would do, but I can see the benefits of blogging as part of the action research process.

    ReplyDelete